Trevar

Hello! My name is Trevar, and I am grateful to have been born and raised here in Victoria, on the traditional, unceded lands of the Lekwungen-speaking First Nations peoples. I live here with my family, very near to the UVic campus.

I’ve meandered through life, taking a solid eight (8) years to do my UVic BA in Germanic Studies, History and Political Science. This included a very nice year in Germany, where I’d love to live again sometime. My educational history also includes a Diploma in Computer Systems Technology at Camosun, a variety of computer science courses at UVic, and now the certificate program in the Faculty of Education. Way before that, I started in on remote learning as a high schooler at SIDES (SIRCS at the time). There was zero multimedia and interactive learning in those courses, but a lot of envelopes and stamps!

I’ve been working at UVic for 14-ish years in online learning development and support roles, as well as five years in systems and application administration. I’d love to find a job one day where I can do all of that, but alas so far it’s one or the other. Volunteering tends to fill the gap. I’m in this program to formalize a bit of my education theory background.

In my spare time, I like to be unproductive. I have some fun with my family, play some video games, watch some TV, mix drinks (gin ftw) and dream about spending money. I try to keep healthy by cooking most of our meals, running (I’m training towards a half-marathon), playing some tennis. I realized last week that I’d love to play soccer again, so perhaps I’ll look for a rec (like, really rec) league team in the Fall. I also have a dream of learning to play guitar and joining in a rock band, so I started growing my hair out and got a skateboard. In my retirement, I’d like to finally get around to volunteering for the UN, and continuing to do the things in this paragraph.